Zephyr Fresh has been designed to be a home aroma diffusion system capable of freshening the air throughout your home and infusing it with lovely scents provided by essential oils. Understandably, we get a lot of questions about whether or not duct cleaning is necessary to enjoy the benefits of Zephyr Fresh. In a word, no.
Duct cleaning is entirely separate from whole-home scenting. However, that doesn’t mean duct cleaning is not a good idea or that your home doesn’t need it. We cannot say because we know nothing about your HVAC system. If you have any questions about duct cleaning, an HVAC professional is the most qualified person to assist you.
With that said, we did some research on duct cleaning. We still cannot answer the main question, but we did learn three fascinating things:
1. How Ducts Are Cleaned
Being that the Zephyr Fresh system connects directly to your duct work, we first wanted to know how ducts are actually cleaned. It is actually quite interesting. Technicians use a selection of brushes, blowers, and vacuums to clean intake, supply, and return ducts.
To start, the system is put under negative pressure so that any dirt and debris loosened during the process doesn’t escape into the home. While under negative pressure, the technician will use brushes to loosen dirt and debris. A blower can help eliminate fine dirt and debris that might be stuck in duct seams and corners.
Once the ducts are cleaned, the technician works on the HVAC unit itself. Components like the air handler, fan, motors, and coils are all cleaned. The system is buttoned backup and tested for efficiency.
2. Regular Cleaning Isn’t Necessary
Our research also revealed that regular duct cleaning is not necessary. In other words, if someone tries to sell you on annual duct cleaning, it’s a pretty safe bet they are just trying to make some money off you. Most homes can go years without duct cleaning; some never need it at all.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) takes the position that “duct cleaning has never been shown to actually prevent health problems. Neither do studies conclusively demonstrate that particle (e.g., dust) levels in homes increase because of dirty air ducts.” They go on to say that duct cleaning is probably not necessary unless certain conditions exist.
3. When It’s a Good Idea
So, when does the EPA feel that duct cleaning is worth it? They cite five scenarios, beginning with home renovation. Any renovation project that creates significant amounts of airborne dirt and debris could contaminate ducts enough to warrant having them cleaned. If asbestos abatement is involved, duct cleaning becomes a necessity.
The other four scenarios are:
- Animal Infestation – It is a good idea to have ducts cleaned if there is evidence of animals living anywhere in the system. Obviously, removing the animals first is necessary.
- Mold – Any evidence of mold in ductwork suggests a good cleaning is necessary.
- Other Contaminants – Any evidence of other contaminants like pet hair, unrecognized debris, etc. are motivation for a good cleaning.
- Allergies – You might want to have your ducts cleaned if anyone in your household experiences chronic allergies with no other explanation. If you have taken all other steps and have not been able to identify the cause of the allergic reaction, cleaning your ducts might do the trick.
Whether you clean your ducts or not, the Zephyr Fresh whole home scent diffuser will do its job. It will fill your home with your favorite scents 24 hours a day, every day of the year.